1. Be Nice.
- Karma is only a bitch if you are.
2. “It is What it is.”
- Don’t freak out over the small stuff. It will eventually work itself out and you will be better for the lesson learned.
- This goes with the “Things Happen for a Reason” mantra — so handle it with your Goddess attitude and move on.
3. The Proper Care and Feeding of your Husband.
- Marry someone who is kind to others.
- A happy husband (or significant other) will endeavor to maintain a happy wife.
- Goddess says – “Hello, Husband – I am going to Washington DC this weekend to visit my girlfriend Leanne. The fridge is full and I have the dogs all taken care of.”
- Husband says – “Alright wife, have a good time.”
- The aspiration to be a “Trophy Wife” is not a bad thing.
- Feeding my husband is a delight with my Blue Apron Box! He has loved all of the recipes and they are healthy to boot! Sign up (here) for $30 off your first box- YUM!
4. Teach your Daughters to be Good Goddesses.
- Lead by example and they too will follow the Goddess Rules to live by.
- Help them blossom and they will grow to make you proud of who they have become.
- I truly am a very proud mama.
5. Be a Good Friend.
- Always try to answer your tribe’s phone calls or texts as soon as possible – they may be in a crisis and only you can help.
- Find time to spend with them.
- Visit often – BFF late night chats over a glass of wine are to be treasured.
- LADY’S Weekends are REQUIRED ATTENDANCE. See a Guide to Hosting a Lady’s Weekend at your House.
6. Take Care of You.
- Always wear sunscreen — DUH!
- Eat things that are good for you and good to eat.
- Make sure you have an Awesome Colorist — beautiful highlights and color are golden.
- Exception: If you can totally Rock that Silver Fox look — have at it!
- Invest in a good Bra and good Shoes — Support is your friend so be nice to her!
- Get your Ass off the damned couch!
- Walk your dogs, clean vigorously, garden actively, whatever gets you moving.
7. Be Truthful.
- Tell it like it is and your fellow Goddesses will appreciate you – maybe not right away – but in the end a good friend will value your straightforwardness.
- You are allowed to say “No”. You can’t do everything or every event – bow out graciously and make the next one with more gusto!
8. Buy a GOOD BED!
- You spend 30% of your life on it so don’t cheap out on a shitty mattress.
9. Hostess with the “Mostess”
- A Goddess lives to Entertain and be Entertained!
- Always greet your guests with a beverage.
- Overnight guests accommodations upon entering their suite as follows:
- A GOOD BED! (see above)
- Morning “Swag Bag” in case of hangover or forgotten toothpaste.
- Hostess Gifts –You should never attend a dinner party or lady’s weekend without an appropriate gift for your hostess! Some great ideas from Oprah (here).
- Buy good RED wine — totally worth it.
- Don’t waste good money on WHITE wines because they all taste the same — if fact skip it and go with a crisp Rose’.
- Rose’ All Day is the new Chardonnay – YUM!
10. Pay your Bills and Pay them on Time.
- A poor credit score will be the downfall of a good Goddess. Check out Credit Karma (here) to keep tabs on your scores!
- Spend less than you make and save the rest — retirement is more fun with money.
- Invest in a good shredder and use it.
- Change your passwords regularly or use a service for super crazy passwords — I use LastPass (here) and love it!
11. Handwritten Notes and Cards
- This should be an automatic gesture when you receive a kindness or gift! My favorite site for cards is TayHam — they are super spicy and fun — (here)
- Birthday cards hang around much longer than the obligatory Facebook shout out.
- It brightens the day of the receiver and will only take a few minutes out of your busy day to get that smile.
12. Be Good to Others!
- Give your time and/or money to someone or a cause in need. You feel good, they feel blessed, it will make the world a little bit kinder.
- Tip well and feel good about it! It is someone’s livelihood and you are helping them reach their goals.
- “Pay it forward” and “Random acts of kindness” makes a Good Goddess better.
13. Take lots of Pictures!
- Pictures catalog the timeline of your life adventures!
- Offer to take pictures for a group of nearby strangers when you are out and about.
- They always have the one photographer that won’t be in any of the group photos — so help a fellow Goddess out!
- Facebook — Moderation is the key with picture posts.
- You only need to pick out one, two or three good pictures to show everyone the great time you are posting for that day.
- Too many pics are just obnoxious and bad Goddess etiquette.
- Exception to this rule — Glorious Travel Adventures — show us all the awesome reasons to go where you go.
14. GO PLACES!
- Traveling soothes the Midlife Goddess SOUL! VRBO is a fabulous site to book intimate travel abroad (here).
- Family adventures are the best “Memory Makers” and last a lifetime.
- Get on an annual “Lady’s Weekend” schedule — and again they are MANDATORY ATTENDANCE!
15. Meditate Daily.
- Be it spiritual, yoga, or morning coffee on the deck.
- Reflect on your family, yesterday’s adventures or planning for your day.
- A healthy “Inner Goddess” will keep you calm and grateful for all that you have been blessed with each day.